From January 2010: Senior Consultant Cardiologist (overlæge) Cardiac Imaging and Senior Research Scientist, Department of Cardiology, Gentofte University Hospital
From August 2008: Associate Professor, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen
Education and Degrees
1992 MD University of Iceland 2003 Specialist in Internal Medicine
2008 Ph.D. University of Copenhagen 2009 Specialist in Cardiovascular Diseases
Research and Scientific Activity
My main fields of research are large-scale register based studies within cardiovascular epidemiology and pharmacoepidemiology. I have defended a PhD thesis within this field. I have extensive experience working with the Danish national registries and I have developed methods to manage and analyse data. Advanced programming in SAS and Stata statistical systems.
Author/co-author of 106 articles published in peer-reviewed journals and more than 150 abstracts presented at international congresses. I hold key publications in the Lancet, Circulation (7), JACC (3), Annals of Internal Medicine, BMJ (4), Archives of Internal Medicine (2) and European Heart Journal (5). My h-index is 19; the number of publications in 2010 was 25 and there were 28 publications in 2011.
I am advisor on 9 completed and 10 on-going PhD projects.
Other Experience and Professional Memberships
Chairman of the Danish Society of Pharmacoepidemiology (since 2009) and member of the board of Danish Society of Pharmacology.
Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology (FESC) and member of the ESC Working Group on Cardiovascular Pharmacology and Drug Therapy
Fellow of the American College of Cardiology (FACC)
Chairman of the NSAID working group for the Danish Cardiac Society
Reviewer on several international journals including: JAMA, BMJ, European Heart Journal, American Journal of Cardiology, Canadian Medical Association Journal, Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety, Journal of Hypertension, QJM, Cardiology, European Journal of Heart Failure. Sentinel reader for the McMaster Online Rating of Evidence and the American College of Physicians. Reviewer of grant applications for the Health and Health Services Research Fund of Hong Kong SAR government.
Research leadership and Administrative Experience
Leading role in several research projects and co-leader of a research group of 30 persons.
Chief physician in charge of the anticoagulation clinic at Gentofte Hospital.
Completed Gentofte Hospital leadership programme for consultants and an internal leader course.
Board member of the cardiovascular research programme steering committee, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen
Awarded the Novo Nordisk Foundation 5 year Research Scholarship in 2012
My presentation at the 2005 American Heart Association Scientific Sessions on risk of death associated with the use NSAIDs after MI was selected as one of the highlights of the congress.
My article on Cardiovascular risk of NSAIDs (Circulatio 2006;113:2906-13) was selected as the second most important cardiovascular research advances in 2006 by the American Hearth Association.
Selected 10 Publications (total number 106)
- Gislason GH, Rasmussen JN, Abildstrom SZ, Rasmussen S, Buch P, Friberg J, Gadsbøll N, Køber L, Stender S, Madsen M, Torp-Pedersen C. Long-term compliance with beta-blockers, angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors and statins after acute myocardial infarction. European Heart Journal 2006;27:1153-8
- Gislason GH, Jacobsen S, Rasmussen JN, Abildstrom SZ, Buch P, Friberg J, Schramm TK, Rasmussen S, Køber L, Madsen M, Torp-Pedersen C. Risk of death or reinfarction associated with treatment with selective cyoclo-oxygenase-2 inhibitors and non-selective non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs after acute myocardial infarction. Circulation 2006;113:2906-13
- Gislason GH, Rasmussen JN, Abildstrom SZ, Schramm TK, Hansen ML, Buch P, Sørensen R, Gadsbøll N, Rasmussen S, Køber L, Madsen M, Torp-Pedersen C. Persistent use of evidence-based pharmacotherapy in heart failure is associated with improved outcomes. Circulation 2007;116:737-44
- Gislason GH, Rasmussen JN, Abildstrom SZ, Schramm TK, Hansen ML, Fosbøl EL, Sørensen R, Folke F, Buch P, Gadsbøll N, Rasmussen S, Poulsen HE, Køber L, Madsen M, Torp-Pedersen C. Increased mortality and cardiovascular morbidity associated with use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatatory drugs in chronic heart failure. Arch of Int Med 2009;169(2):141-9
- Sørensen R, Hansen ML, Abildstrøm SZ, Hvelplund A, Andersson C, Jørgensen C, Madsen JK, Hansen PR, Køber L, Torp-Pedersen C, Gislason GH. Bleeding risk in patients with acute myocardial infarction treated with different combinations of aspirin, clopidogrel and vitamin K antagonists: a nationwide study of 40 812 patients. The Lancet 2009;374:1967-74.
- Folke F, Gislason GH, Lippert FK, Nielsen SL, Weeke P, Hansen ML, Fosbøl EL, Andersen SS, Rasmussen S, Schramm TK, Køber L, Torp-Pedersen C. Differences between out-of-hospital cardiac arrest in residential and public locations and implications for public access defibrillation. Circulation 2010;122:623-30
- Charlot M, Ahlehof O, Jørgensen CH, Hansen PR, Madsen JK, Køber L, Torp-Pedersen C, Gislason GH. Proton Pump Inhibitors are associated with Increased Cardiovascular Risk Independent of Clopidogrel Use: A Nationwide Study. Annals of Internal Medicine 2010; 153:378-86
- Olsen AMS, Fosbøl EL, Lindhardsen J, Folke F, Charlot M, Selmer C, Lamberts M, Olesen JB, Køber L, Hansen PR, Torp-Pedersen C, Gislason GH. Duration of Treatment with Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs and Impact on Risk of Death and Recurrent Myocardial Infarction in Patients with Prior Myocardial Infarction – A Nationwide Cohort Study. Circulation 2011; 123:2226-2235
- Charlot M, Grove EL, Hansen PR, Olesen JB, Ahlehoff O, Selmer C, Lindhardsen J, Madsen JK, Køber L, Torp-Pedersen C, Gislason GH. Proton pump inhibitor use and risk of adverse cardiovascular events in aspirin treated patients with first time myocardial infarction: nationwide propensity score matched study. British Medical Journal 2011;342:d2690.
- Bretler DM, Hansen PR, Sørensen R, Lindhardsen J, Ahlehoff O, Andersson C, Abildstrøm SZ, Torp-Pedersen C, Gislason GH. Discontinuation of hormone replacement therapy after myocardial infarction and short-term risk of adverse cardiovascular events: a nationwide cohort study. BMJ 2012 ;344:e1802